Re: Displaying images with recent trunk

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Displaying images with recent trunk
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:02:53 +0200

Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if someone has tried to display imaged with trunk, say, after
> Aug 05, 2014.

Hey, that's when I tinkered with image-mode...

> For example try this:
>
> 1. emacs -Q
>
> 2. C-x C-f
> /usr/local/Emacs.app/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/emacs.png. It
> looks OK.
>
> 3. Now on menu bar click 'Image' and then 'Fit Frame to
> image'. Question: How to revert (undo) this?
>
> 4. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window Height'
>
> 5. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window width'
>
> Repeat 3., 4., 5. in different order... and with various files...
>
> Sometimes (I have tried with several PNG and JPG files), 4. and
> 5. gives the same result, i.e. a deformed image (which does not
> maintain the aspect ratio). Is this by design?

I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  Do you have a reproducible recipe?

The change I introduced was 1) to use imagemagick instead of the other
drivers, and 2) set max-width/max-height to the window.  I wanted to
introduce reasonable defaults when viewing images, but the logic in how
image-mode.el displays images is kinda hard to follow, so I may have
done this in a sub-optimal manner.