Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:13:33 -0400

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:19:07 -0700 Matthew Plant <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> Maybe LEFT DOUBLE ANGLE BRACKET and RIGHT
TZ> DOUBLE ANGLE BRACKET would work (they look like << and >>).

MP> I'm pretty sure that those look like existing ASCII characters as well ;-)

(Your quoting is strange, could you please use a better MUA?)

I'm honestly happy with anything that works. I actually had the
French-style (used in many countries) guillemets in mind, like « for
LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK. Those:

* do not look too much like << in most fonts...
* ...but are close enough to be familiar
* are used in many locales to quote text already
* already have keyboard shortcuts on many platforms (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemet#Typing_.22.C2.AB.22_and_.22.C2.BB.22_on_computers)
* are just extended ASCII, so they are already universally supported, both at
the font and at the platform level

So, two questions:

- can anyone think of better markers for rawstring / raw regex literals?

- are the markers proposed here going to resolve the backwards-scanning
  issue?  And is that all that's blocking the proposal?

Ted