Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.

From: Matthew Plant
Subject: Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:39:05 -0500

I did a grep on the latest xemacs code base I could find, funnily enough, almost half of the instances of #r appeared in test cases. Not in facilitating them I might add, they were the test case. All of the non-test cases were regexps.

Although this data is convincing in some respects, I would like to note that xemacs is dead. The download off their main page did not even have any raw string literals.

I will still content that it is a useful feature to have. The cost of adding it (very minimal) are is to the benefit of having it. And why not? Emacs is also a language, unfortunately. We could all switch to guile and be done with it, but it appears the consensus is that elisp is finely tuned to do text processing. Elisp is a text processing language, and it should have as many features to facilitate in the processing of text as possible, this included.

-Matt