Re: Emacs pretest

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:50:31 +0200

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:27:30 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we're ready for the first pretest.  Sean, can you take care of it?

This is sooner than I was expecting.  I have changes for Todo mode which
are almost ready but I won't be able to complete and commit them until
at least after April 8, since I'm travelling, but possibly not until
after April 15, since I have other pressing things to do when I return.

The changes include revised documentation necessitated by the changes I
committed just before the feature freeze.  I also discovered a few bugs,
which I've fixed.  In addition, I realized that it is easy to provide
the same kind of user feedback for invoking item editing as I
implemented for item insertion before the feature freeze.  For editing,
the code is much simpler; it does not add new functionality, just makes
the user interface nicer, simpler and more consistent.  I also slightly
improved the insertion feedback.  These changes also makes it much
easier to provide a practicable menu for Todo mode, which I'd been
having trouble with before.

I think these changes (again, no new features, just user interface
improvements, and some code cleanup) really should be in 24.4, since
this will be the first release containing the new Todo mode, and without
them, the user interface is worse.  So I hope you'll let me commit them
as soon as I'm able to, even if it's not in time for the first pretest.

Steve Berman