Re: .gitignore and .bzrignore files.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: .gitignore and .bzrignore files.
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:44:23 +0100

Nicolas Richard writes:
> I have one question : what goes in those ignore filesĀ ? I've heard some
> people want to ignore files created during compilation, while some other
> don't because they compile off tree and want to know if files get added
> in the tree.

Since it's close to impossible to cater to both in-tree and out-of-tree
builds, you'll either end up with no .gitignore files in the repo at all
or adding them and having those files ignored.  Given that

git clean -xn

will show you even those files that you ignore (and other VCS have their
own variant of the same), it may be slightly easier to just keep the
.gitignore files in the tree.

Regards,
Achim.