Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116836: Avoid GC crashes.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116836: Avoid GC crashes.
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:56:25 -0400

    > I will include it in the code I run.  I am tired of getting these
    > crashes, and it isn't useful any more since I can't do any more
    > debugging them.

    You can do what you like in your copy of Emacs. There's no need to push
    that to the tree, however.

You're trying to apply a principle that is applicable to bugs that
surely have a recipe but we don't know what it is: don't paper it
over, so that people will encounter it and someone will find a recipe.

That's not universal; this is not that kind of bug.  I suspect it
occurs because one GC makes a mistake that causes subsequent data
corruption that causes the next GC to crash.

It's possible the bug affects only Mips machines, and it's possible I
am the only Yeeloong user on this list, but other Yeeloong users do
use Emacs.  It won't help us to cause them to get unpredictable GC
crashes.  If one of them decides to make a little attempt to
investigate, he will only tell us the beginning of what we already
know.  Most users won't know how to investigate it as far as I did.

The work needed to find this bug is a different kind.

We should install the workaround.  That won't stop us from working on
the GCC bug, when we want to.  It will however spare some users Emacs
crashes in the meantime.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation