RE: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:24:07 +0100

Thanks for the fast answer.

Well it is pretty similar to what is called "intellisense", but it does not pop-up in a new window and offers code editing rather than code completition.
For example while editing html, if one clicks on an element, code for css-style property for that element is displayed direclty below under the line
of the code for that tag and one can edit that particular piece of css. They call it "quick edit". It is a bit faster way to work since one does not have to switch between files. For example I personally usually have html file in one window + css or javacript file in another window, Emacs been split horisontally in two windows. Similary I usually have .h and .c files in two windows with horisontaly split emacs. But if I want to edit them still have to switch ctrl+x o and to scroll to correct place to change the code.

In brackets they bring the relevant piece of code under the line below the cursor, and it "feels" like part of same file, they "paste it in"
in the editing buffer. Rather than user looking in files for part of code to edit, the editor brings the relevant part to the user. It is simply a
bit of automation for the user - text editor doing stuff for us.

I am not sure if I am really that good in explaining, english is not my first (or second) language. They do have a simple descrition on their webbpage how it works: http://brackets.io/index.html and there is a picture of it in action: http://dev.brackets.io/preso/intro/assets/features/brackets-quick-edit-js.PNG

There are several videos on youtube of functionality in the action, here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0QB2dnbJ4 (skip to 5:40 for the relevant part).

best regards
/a