Re: Progress on the git repo cleanup

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Progress on the git repo cleanup
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:34:15 -0500

On Mar 6, 2014, at 3:49 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Reitter <address@hidden>:
>> What is the procedure for those of us that keep a separate branch
>> around, which has multiple (50+) merges from the mainline or Emacs
>> 23, and many private changes?
>
> The first question you need to settle is whether you need to keep the
> change comments for your branch.

I started Aquamacs 9 years ago, and I have about 5 years worth of history in
the branch.  I have been careful to be a good citizen in committing reasonably
logical and documented changes that can be merged into the main branch.
No, I don’t want to lose my history.

> If not, the procedure is very simple:

If it weren’t for your dedicated and hard work while communicating with
everyone here, I would find it somewhat insulting to be given this trivial
“trash the history” solution.

> If you need to keep the change comments, Andreas has a more complicated
> procedure in mind which I will help him set up.

I’m very much looking forward to this.
Can I provide you with a reasonably complex test case?