Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:07:21 +0200

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:37:09 +0100
> From: Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>
> > I, for one, am accustomed to see these messages while Emacs is being
> > built: in a highly parallel build that is sometimes the only practical
> > way of knowing whether some part of the build succeeded or not.
>
> How do you do that?!  Do you really read *all* messages being printed while
> building?!

When I need to understand what went wrong, I read many of them, yes.

> I presume that just testing for the existence of interesting files (e.g.
> good old "find") isn't an option?

With today's fast machines, that's not good enough: it's not easy to
be sure whether a given file was created by this or the previous
build, when you run one after the other (perhaps trying to fix a
problem).

> Isn't that the job of the build system rather?

When the build system becomes smart enough to tell me what went wrong,
I will no longer need this, indeed.