Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 16:09:36 -0500

> The above is not enough.  I would suggest to have the following
> additional steps, before the switch:

Sounds right.

I'd also like:

- Improve vc-git.el so that it can automatically enable smerge-mode when
  opening a conflicted file and (probably conditional on a config var)
  mark the file as "not conflicted any more" when saving with no
  remaining diff3 markers.
  This currently works in vc-bzr.el (and vc-svn.el as well, IIRC).

- Improve vc-git.el with vc-git-conflicted-files so that
  vc-find-conflicted-files works for Git as well.

- Release 24.4 (i.e. I'd rather not deal with the move before we
  release 24.4).

- The $5M mentioned by Eli sounds good as well.  Tho somehow I have the
  impression this isn't gonna happen.

> - He's not bringing any new argument that has not been discussed
> before; the only difference is that Richard and Stefan seem to accept
> now that Bazaar is beyond hope.

Side note: I've considered Bzr dead for a while now (hence the move to
Git for `elpa').  FWIW, my vote is on "have better things to do with my
time than worry about which VCS we use".
IOW the main change so far is that Richard does not insist on us using
Bzr any more.

        Stefan