Re: Cannot generate web manuals

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Cannot generate web manuals
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 20:26:19 -0500

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

>> I would not bother if I were you. To date we intentionally only provide
>> the main manuals in non-html formats. It is a pain to keep multiple
>> formats up-to-date, for little benefit IMO.
>
> Why?  Can't we just use the same method used by emacs/lispref/eintr for
> `(manual-misc-manuals)' and just press `M-x make-manuals'?

Of course you _can_ do that, I'm saying it's pointless.
Does any distribution package the pdf versions of those files?
Is there anyone who really wants the pdf version and does not have
access to TeX?

I guarantee you that if you only do some, someone will complain about
the ones you did not do. So you'll have to do them all. And update all
formats, at every release.

> But why does `manual-html-mono' and `manual-html-node' only include
> (by "makeinfo -I") `doc/emacs' and `doc/misc'?

Because those are the only directories from which we need to pick up
included files (emacsver.texi and texinfo.tex).