Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 22:05:57 +0200

> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:46:24 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>, Emacs development discussions
> <address@hidden>
>
> >> I've just tried to bootstrap (autogen + msysconfig + make bootstrap)
> >> with your patch applied, but it fails the same way.
> >
> > I think there's a mistake in the patch:
> >
> >   !     @(w32srcdir=`cd "$srcdir"; pwd -W | sed -e
> > 's,^\([[A-Za-z]]\):,/\1,' | ${msys_to_w32}` ;        \
> >                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This should be "[A-Za-z]", i.e. only single pair of brackets.  (The
> > second one was necessary in an Autoconf file, to protect from
> > expansion by m4.)
>
> I've tried again with that correction, but I see the same failure.
>
> I may provide any necessary info to investigate this further (though I
> think that this problem should be trivial to reproduce by anyone who
> builds Emacs on MS-Windows).

The relevant piece of information is src/epaths.h.  But really, Dani,
you are the only person who is motivated enough to dig into this, so
please do.  The issue cannot be too complicated: what happens here is
that Emacs does not find its lisp subdirectory, and therefore looks
for the one in the installation tree, which doesn't yet exist.

> >> BTW, as Óscar already said [1], there is a second problem here: Just
> >> after running autogen.sh (in the source tree) and msysconfig (in the
> >> -empty- build tree), "make bootstrap" re-runs autogen.sh (see line 137
> >> of the attached file) and the makefiles are re-generated.  This should
> >> be unnecessary in this case, no?
> >
> > This is on purpose, as this snippet from the top-level Makefile shows:
>
> OK, thanks for clarifying this.

What you and Óscar need to get used to is not to run the configure
script before bootstrapping, but just say "make bootstrap", since the
bootstrap includes regeneration of the configure script and the
following configure step.