Re: Rectangular regions

From: Josh
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:35:05 -0700

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 13:02:12 -0700
>> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden

>> > I'm surprised: could you give an idea why that could be useful?
>>
>> I've used them to deal with ASCII art diagrams.
>
> In a program source?  If so, it must have been in comments, where you
> would never set a breakpoint, right?

I also use rectangle commands in programming modes from time to
time, and not in comments.  For example, I can often perform
simultaneous edits to common substrings of columnar data such as
enum elements far more efficiently with a rectangle command than I
could using a keyboard macro or replace-regexp.  I also use
rectangle commands quite often when when transforming extracts from
log files into a form suitable for programmatic use.