Re: Rectangular regions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:40:48 -0400

> So to the extent that there is a vote, I would go for either 'M-x SPC' or
> 'C-SPC C-SPC', or 'C-M-SPC'.

I assume you meant C-x SPC instead of M-x SPC (I guess we could
technically make M-x SPC do the job, but it would be a majorly ugly
hack).

C-SPC C-SPC is already taken, so it'd have to be C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC.
And C-M-SPC is also already taken (and I don't know about you, but
I use it extensively).

> Have you also considered, though, making rectangular regions work well at
> the elisp level?

>From rect.el:

;; FIXME: lots of known problems with the new rectangle support:
;; - no key binding for mark-rectangle.
;; - no access to the `string-rectangle' functionality.
;; - lots of commands handle the region without paying attention to its
;;   rectangular shape.

So, I guess, in summary, this counts as an additional vote for C-x SPC.
It looks like GUD will have to adapt.

        Stefan