Re: trunk r114834: Tweak Tramp method definition syntax to allow overrid

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: trunk r114834: Tweak Tramp method definition syntax to allow overriding check for localhost-only methods
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 00:15:29 -0700

On 10/29/2013 12:10 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Daniel,

+  * `tramp-hostname-checker'
+    This is a function that tramp calls while setting
+    up a connection.  It is called with three arguments:
+    the target, the host, and the method description.  If
+    the hostname is unacceptable, this function should signal
+    using `tramp-error'.  If a method does not provide
+    a value here, then Tramp looks at whether the method's
+    login program uses a \"%h\" parameter.  If not, then Tramp
+    requires that the given hostname match `tramp-local-host-regexp'.

I don't follow. What is this change good for? Do you have a use case?

I do locally --- a custom tramp method that connects to just one host and therefore doesn't refer to %h --- but more generally, it seems odd to tie the local- versus remote-capable distinction to just referring to %h.