RE: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

> > > I need to customize every programming mode I use to do that.
> >
> > You do?  You can't use `C-j'?
>
> I can, but it's much less convenient than to use RET.

Much less convenient, really?  Do you find `C-n' as inconvenient as
`C-j', so you customize Emacs to replace `C-n' also?  `C-a'?  `C-e'?

> I want a key that is easily reached and that
> performs newline-and-indent.  Every modern IDE does that.

Emacs does that too, with `C-j'.  Easily reached by most, I think.

But any user is free to bind some other key for this.  If one finds
`<f9>' or `<kp-enter>' (or even `RET') better, then it's easy enough
to substitute it.

Sorry, I'm with Richard on this one.  You seem to be viewing a local
mole hill (if even that) from a foreign vantage point and seeing a
mountain.  `C-j' is a good choice for Emacs, here.  Let's keep `RET'
for what it does and `C-j' for what it does.