Re: APL mode

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: APL mode
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:24:40 +0200

Hi,

On Sunday 13 October 2013 20:17:04 Rustom Mody wrote:
> I have one general question for you: Did you try Gnu-Apl under emacs?
> I personally find the xmodmap approach too invasive to be practicable
> -- everything other than the emacs-apl modes stop working!  Not just
> at the emacs level but even at the X level eg Alt-F2, Alt-F4 etc etc
> So I feel we need to find an input-method approach which does not
> disturb things too much outside the 2 buffers where its needed -- Apl
> file, Apl interpreter.

so far I only tried GNU APL with inferior-apl-mode.  Change `inferior-apl-
program' to point to the GNU APL executable and start `inferior-apl'.

I agree that the xmodmap approach isn't very practical.  apl-input.el contains
an input method for APL characters.  You type $ followed by the name of the
apl character unicode name.  (It currently lacks characters outside the APL
FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL namespace).  This isn't very practical either.  That's why
there is apl-input-x.el.  Which adds a variety of different names to the input
method.

E.g.,

   ("<-" ?←)
   ("->" ?→)
   ("each" ?¨)
   ("&" ?∧)
   ("and" ?∧)
   ("nand" ?⍲)
   ("or" ?∨)
   ("*" ?×)
   ("%" ?÷)
   ("/" ?÷)

But it requires some more additions and fine tuning to be really useful.

I'm not very well experienced with APL and only did some APL for fun.  That's
why I might not be the best person to implement all of this.

Regards,
Rüdiger