Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:24:56 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> It used to be possible to do
>
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=none gpg --decrypt foo.gpg
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=none gpg --batch --decrypt foo.gpg
> etc.
>
> but with GPG 2.x that seems to be disabled and the pinentry prompt pops
> up no matter what.  Without waiting for changes on the GPG side, the
> only option seems to be to downgrade to GPG 1.x, which is not a great
> solution.  I haven't found a configuration option to disable the popup,
> and even removing /usr/bin/pinentry and disabling the gpg-agent doesn't
> work:

Nowadays, GnuPG 2.1 or later has --pinentry-mode option, which provides
a way to bypass the graphical pinentry prompt, like:

$ gpg --batch --decrypt --pinetry-mode=loopback authinfo.gpg

which just behaves like gpg1.  I added the support to epg.el (see
epg-pinentry-mode) some time ago, but not yet added any user option in
epa.el.

Patches (and testing) are welcome.

Regards,
--