Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 00:14:10 +0300

On 22.08.2013 23:35, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Why couldn't that be fixed?  Why should usage info not be in README.md?
Because it's customary to put at least something into Commentary, usage info
seems to be the most natural info to put there, and duplicating text is not
nice. See my previous emails for better arguments.

OK.  let's try to take a step back.  You're suggesting that we need
2 places where we put different info (one being the Commentary: and
another being the README.*).

That's what often happens already anyway.

I just don't see it.  If you want to put info in the README, then you
can put all the relevant info in the README, and the Commentary: can
be trivial.  And vice versa.

Yes, nothing's stopping us from arranging the information in any arbitrary way. Except for social factors.

To have the description recognized by both Elpa and Melpa, currently I'd have to keep the same text in README.md and Commentary. And `describe-package' buffer from Melpa would end up looking better due to not having extraneous info.

To switch Melpa over to preferring text from README.md over Commentary, you'd have to make an argument that it would result in better, more relevant descriptions for packages that they distribute, overall.

And they are tracking ~300 multi-file and ~2700 single-file packages, so it's not like we can easily change a significant portion of them over to a different convention.

Take company's README.md, for example.  It's barren, but Commentary in
company.el contains what you'd expect from a description.  I'd like to keep
things that way there.

Why?  Why not move the info from company.el to README.md (where it can
be made prettier while you're at it)?

It already has a homepage that has all that info. It's prettier than the github page due to having some dedicated styling.

Putting the same stuff on the homepage and in README.md would, again, result in duplication, or at least some non-trivial work by automating the export from the latter into the former. It's doable, but the link works just as good.