Re: Git version of ELPA

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Git version of ELPA
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:13:58 +0200

Dmitry Gutov writes:
> If using VCS The Right Way means not having auto-generated files inside
> the upstreadm repositories, then they shouldn't be inside the elpa
> branch, either.

Good, so then how does ELPA build the release versions from the raw
repository content?

> The packages' files get modified/added during the build process anyway,
> both in ELPA and MELPA.

True, but AFAIK that only means adding a *-pkg.el file and selecting
which files end up in the package archive.  They both don't build a
distribution version, but expect to be able to use the sources directly.

> IOW, we're probably in agreement, but I think ELPA is farther from The
> Right Way that Melpa, since the former requires -pkg.el files to be
> present, and they are usually auto-generated.

At least for Org, there are provisions to build the necessary version
and autoload files via elisp, this could be extended to the *-pkg.el
file.  Another option would be to use the existing makefile that creates
a valid package archive.  But the ELPA packager would need to make use
of those functions and the mechanism to do so should be general enough
to be usable by all packages that need it.

Regards,
Achim.