Re: make distclean and quail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make distclean and quail
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:17:25 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 04:48:54 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> distclean: clean
>         @echo SRC = ${srcdir}
>         @echo PWD = `/bin/pwd`
>         -[ `cd ${srcdir} && /bin/pwd` != `/bin/pwd` ] && rm -rf quail
>         rm -f Makefile
>
> and I've got:
>
> SRC = /c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim
> PWD = /c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim
>
> The previous bootstrap, which succeeded (I mean, didn't delete
> leim/quail/* files) had identical PWD, but SRC =
> /c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim.
>
> Looking at ./Makefile,
>
>   # We use $(srcdir) explicitly in dependencies so as not to depend on VPATH.
>   srcdir=/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk
>
> and, in fact, all along the bootstrap's log, make output uses the
> "right" casing:
>
>   make[2]: Entering directory '/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk'
>
> while shell commands do not:
>
>   [ -r "/c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/src/config.in" ] || ( cd
> /c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk && autoheader )
>
> In both cases the bootstraps were invoked through the same alias,
> paths, binaries, etc.
>
> Any idea what can be causing this?

So you are saying that _all_ of the Makefile's set srcdir to its
correct value, and yet the commands issued by Make have "Devel"
downcased, is that right?  That kinda blames Make and it alone,
because it is Make who expands variables when it invokes commands.
Did you try to install a newer snapshot of MSYS Make?

And you also say that this happens only sometimes?  Is it possible
that you invoke the bootstrap a bit differently when the problem
happens, like with different environment variables or from a different
shell?  Or maybe you have more than one Make which could come into
play somehow?

FWIW, this never happened to me, but then I don't think I've built
packages using MSYS in a directory that has mixed-case letters, they
are always lower-case here.