Re: frame size&position woes

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: frame size&position woes
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 01:47:51 +0200

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why do you need all that?  Isn't frame-height, frame-width, and the
> top and left frame parameters enough to restore the frame's dimensions
> and position?

This is not about restoring the frame size & position, is about
knowing whether it intersects with some monitor.

Some people want for desktop-restore-frames to move on-screen frames
that are wholly off-screen. The only way to know the screen dimensions
is via `frame-monitor-attributes', which answers in pixels. Without
the real, window manager style physical size of a frame in pixels, all
we can do is crude heuristics.

> ...then the frame will not be restored to the exact size it was, but
> maybe one or two lines more or less.  I don't see a big problem here,
> it's a marginal use case, one I doubt even exists.

Which is a way to say, we won't jump through complex hoops to fix it.
Fine. I'm trying all the simple ones first, because big or not, it's
still a problem. Restoring "one or two lines more or less" is not a
big failure, but it is also not a good result for code whose only
purpose is to restore frames' sizes and positions.