RE: Describing local-map/keymap in overlays/text properties

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Describing local-map/keymap in overlays/text properties
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:18:23 -0700 (PDT)

> >> Is there a different command to see text property key bindings?
> >
> > C-u C-x =
>
> That's kinda obscure.  Anybody mind if I alter `C-h m' and `C-h b'
> to display text prop keymaps (first)?

Yes, I mind.  (But please submit an enhancement request via
`report-emacs-bug', if you like.)

`C-h m' is already very long, even for a short major-mode doc string.
This does not belong there at all, IMO.

`C-h b' is another story, but it refers to the current context (e.g.
buffer) generally, not only to a specific position.

(I assume you are speaking generally, and not just about the doc
for some particular mode.)

Better than messing with `C-h m' or `C-h b' might be to provide a
new command that lists only the text-property bindings at point.

(But that could also be said for other parts of the `C-u C-x =' output:
it is a mix of different kinds of info.  One could imagine several
separate commands for the different kinds of info.)

My general reaction to your proposal is YAGNI.  `C-u C-x =' is fine.