Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 05:31:48 +0200

I've pushed a new patch. It renames the restore option to
desktop-restore-frames, adds a new one
desktop-restore-in-current-display, and includes a few bugfixes.

In particular, on Windows:

- Save in GUI mode
- Restore in -nw mode
- Save in -nw mode
- Restore in GUI mode

does work more or less reasonably. I've been forced to filter out the
font frame parameter because it didn't really survive the roundtrip
and caused an error. There's some work to do deciding which parameters
make sense to save and which ones do not, specially when doing that
GUI -> tty -> GUI roundtrip (on Windows and elsewhere).

Other things to do:

- Detect that frames are restored in a non-visible area and do
something about it (discussion ongoing about the precise way to do
it).
- What to do about minibufferless frames and minibuffer-only frames?
- In my tests, fullscreen frames (i.e., (fullscreen . fullscreen), not
the other kinds) restore with the wrong height, about two lines longer
that they should. Could be related to settings of tool-bar-mode, etc.
Not very serious because there's a binding for
toggle-frame-fullscreen, but it is still a bit ugly.
- Currently, if you have desktop-restore-frames = t and want to reload
the desktop without restoring frames, you must configure the variable
or edit by hand the desktop file (or set desktop--saved-states to
nil). I think it'd be good to have interactive arguments for
desktop-(save|load) to toggle frame saving&restoring. Or treat this as
sort of a pseudo-minor-mode and add a function to toggle it.
- At some point in the future, Stefan's patch/idea to add an option to
emacs to delay creating the first frame, so we can avoid the flicker
of resizing it.

That's off the top of my head. Anything else I've missed, just holler.