Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:00:37 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> It is overkill to to that, just make the frames and maximize/fullscreen them
> as they where when the desktop was saved.  It is a mistake to try to be a
> window manager and force frames to exact positions.

What you call a mistake, I call the main thing that would make the
save&restore feature worth using for me. I don't want frames restored
if they are not at the same place they were before.

> For example, a common use case for me is to have multiple monitors at work.
> I have some Emacs frames at these monitors.  When I get home, I don't have
> these monitors, just the laptop screen.  Where does my Emacs frames end
> up in your scheme when I'm at home? Offscreen at some unaccessable coordinate?

This is an interesting use case which we will have to deal with at
some point. But I'm sure the more common use case will be people using
s&r in the same computer with the same setup. If we don't save the
frame sizes and positions (and, if posible, max/full state) you can
bet we'll get an endless stream of bug reports (not wishlist
enhancements, but bug reports) about that behavior. I would personally
file the first one.