Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:19:16 +0200

> It is overkill to to that, just make the frames and
> maximize/fullscreen them as they where when the desktop was saved.

Juanma already proposed to use just the default value before maximizing
the frame.

> It
> is a mistake to try to be a window manager and force frames to exact
> positions.  For example, a common use case for me is to have multiple
> monitors at work.  I have some Emacs frames at these monitors.  When I
> get home, I don't have these monitors, just the laptop screen.  Where
> does my Emacs frames end up in your scheme when I'm at home?
> Offscreen at some unaccessable coordinate?  Better let the window
> manager deal with this, in most cases it will make these frames
> visible, which is what I want.

This problem exists independently from whether we want to save prior
positions/sizes since usually we do want to at least restore the sizes
of non-maximized frames.  And in some cases we probably should restore
the positions too - think of an attached speedbar frame.

martin