Re: Parallel builds with loaddefs removed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Parallel builds with loaddefs removed
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:26:25 -0400

> If they were not touched and cl-loaddefs.el does not exist, the rule
> will fire and create it.

And what I'm saying is that this is not the case: the rule will fire,
but it will not create cl-loaddefs.el, or maybe it will partly but
not completely, because the autoload.el code will mostly compare the
timestamp in lisp/loaddefs.el with the mtime of the cl-*.el files and
only consult those that are more recent, and only those so consulted
will see their autoloads added to cl-loaddefs.

> If they were touched, the rule will fire and
> update cl-loaddefs.el.

If they were touched, then the comparison with the lisp.loaddefs.el
timestamp will indeed cause them to be scanned, so their autoloads will
end up in cl-loaddefs.el.  But if they were not all touched, then only
some of them will be consulted, so the cl-loaddefs.el will end up
incomplete.

        Stefan