Re: some progress

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: some progress
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:25:42 +0200

>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
   >> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:46:08 +0200
   >>
   >> Ok, here is a patch for the phonetic keyboard.

   > Thanks.  A few suggestions below.

I am sorry to have sent the patch  without extensive testing,

   > Also, if we are to accept this, we will need a copyright assignment
   > from you.

Of course, but how? Could I sent a pgp signed assignment?

   >> + ("A" ?א)  ; Alef
   >> + ("B" ?ב)  ; Bet

Ok before going to the errors, some remarks about the keyboard in
question.

For those of us, who use Hebrew only occasionally the standard Hebrew
keyboard needs too much of adaptation to be practical [1].

There is a lot of polemics about what would be a good substitute and as
I understand it you can either

    -  have a phonetic approach: try to map the hebrew letters to its
       phonetic relatives in  us-ascii like bet-->b or

    -  try to use the forms of the letters, so shin-->w samesh-->o.

Now the keyboard I am referring to is the Hebrew-phonetic keyboard
provided by KDE, I don't know whether there is a gnome version and I
also don't know whether MS windows or Apple provide something
similar.

The keyboard, I admit, is not entirely consistent. As you complained
o-->samesh but w--> wav.

Nevertheless I think it should be accepted as it is, because now there
are a couple of applications with BIDI support in Linux: besides LyX,
Kile and Openoffice (I am sure there are more).

When I used Hebrew in Lyx I could configure my own hebrew-phonetic
keyboard, but I don't know how to do this for openoffice and kile, I
even don't know whether it is possible or one should then re configure
the KDE layout.

Since this KDE layout is some sort of standard (in the KDE world) I
think it is worth to have it in GNU emacs. Maybe we should name it
hebrew-phonetic-kde or something like this. I attach a file in which you
can see the distribution of the kde-keyboard and which is an answer to
most of your critics.

[snip]

   >> + ("R" ?ר)  ; Resh
   >> + ("R" ?ר)  ; Resh

   > Why twice?

My fault! I also forgot shin!

   >> + ("." ?.)  ; Stop

   > Why do you need this identity mapping?

   >> + ("[" ?\])  ; mirroring
   >> + ("]" ?\[)  ; mirroring
   >> + ("(" ?\))  ; mirroring
   >> + (")" ?\()  ; mirroring
   >> + ("{" ?})  ; mirroring
   >> + ("}" ?{)  ; mirroring
   >> + ("<" ?>)  ; mirroring
   >> + (">" ?<)  ; mirroring

Well this I just copied from other layout found in the hebrew.el
file. If it is not necessary we can delete it.
   > What about / and \ ?

Now I am not sure that it is really needed.

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  I wounder whether it was Eliezer Ben-Yehuda himself who invented
     it. :-D