Re: :max-width/:max-height

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: :max-width/:max-height
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:08:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> It was probably lost in that long bickering thread about whether
>> lookup_image pushed stuff over X or not, but I realised that the
>> interface shr needs is :max-width and :max-height on images.
>
> What would such an interface provide to its callers?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  It would allow scaling the
images to fit in a window without having to do the tedious computations
in the caller, and it would require decoding the image only once.

> I wouldn't recommend assuming that Emacs doesn't deal well with large
> images.  Changes committed lately already make it deal much better
> with vertical scrolling, and doing the same for horizontal scrolling
> should be easy.

You've made it much better lately, but it's still awkward.  However,
that's not the main point.  When you ask Emacs to display an image, you
usually don't want to see a section of the image -- you want to see the
entire thing.  This is what Firefox does, for instance, if you ask it to
display a single image that is too large for its window.

shr has functions for zooming in the scaled image afterwards, if you
really want to see the details, of course.