Question about todos.el copyright and author headers

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 00:53:41 +0200

Before I install todos.el (the new version of Todo mode), I'd like to
request clarification about the copyright and author headers.
Currently, I've written them like this:

;; Copyright (C) 1997, 1999, 2001-2013  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Oliver Seidel <address@hidden> (original: todo-mode.el)
;;      Stephen Berman <address@hidden> (new: todos.el)

The copyright years are those of todo-mode.el.  My model here is js.el,
which was added to Emacs in 2009:

;; Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Karl Landstrom <address@hidden>
;;         Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>

In 2008 the sole author was Landstrom, and the file was named
javascript.el.  Likewise, the sole author of the original todo-mode.el
was Seidel.  One difference between the situation with js.el and that
with todos.el is that AFAIK javascript.el was never part of Emacs under
that name.  However, todos.el cannot be installed as todo-mode.el
because the latter is not being removed at this time but moved to
lisp/obsolete/, where it will still bear the same copyright header but
only Seidel in the author header.  Is it nevertheless acceptable to use
the above copyright header in todos.el?  (Regarding the parenthetical
additions to the author lines, these are intended to avoid confusion and
prevent mistaken attribution, similar to what's done in apropos.el.)

So is it ok to install todos.el with the above headers, and if not, what
should they be?

Steve Berman