Setting the background colour of a buffer or window

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:32:21 +0200

There still apparently isn't a way to set the background colour of a
buffer (or a window)?  You have to set the background colour of the
entire frame?

For eww, it would be really, really nice if it were possible to set the
background colour of the buffer.  That would be much more natural than
putting the background colour over every character in the buffer with
text properties.

Although while writing this, I now see that I could probably just do
exactly that in eww, since eww commands the entire buffer.  Probably not
for shr, though.

So, er, uhm.  Well, it would be nice in general to have that
functionality, even though eww probably can do without.  :-)

Is there any chance of that being added?