Re: New version of todo-mode.el (announcement + user guide)

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: New version of todo-mode.el (announcement + user guide)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 22:54:55 +0200

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:59:36 +0200 Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden> wrote:

>  >> Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
>  >> on Mon, 10 Jun 2013 01:31:09 +0200 wrote:
>
>  > I've written a new version of todo-mode.el, which I'd like to submit for
>  > possible inclusion in Emacs.
>
> I am a bit confused. I have never used todo-mode and my naive impression
> was that most people are using org-mode for todos nowadays.

I share that impression.

> What can todo-mode do that org-mode cannot?

I can't compare them because I'm too unfamiliar with Org.  I briefly
looked at it when it first appeared but preferred Todo mode's UI to
Org's, and I was already involved with adding features to Todo mode to
suit my needs, so I didn't pursue Org further.

> If their functionality is similar, then why to spend the effort on two
> separate projects that are both part of emacs?

I've only spent time and effort on Todo mode.  Maybe there are some
other people who use the old version and will find the new one useful,
and perhaps others will too.  There are lots of application domains for
which Emacs has more than one package.

Steve Berman