Re: using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 16:55:39 -0400

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:13:18 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> Without comments, I will assume a general OK on these two things:

TZ> - move to the GnuTLS 3.x API and require that version of the libraries.

TZ> - enable SSL certificate verification by default (I have some questions
TZ>   about non-interactive cases in a separate thread).

...and after Stefan's comments:

- SSL certificates will be run through a user-supplied acceptance
  function/regex/whatever.  If they are not accepted by it, the behavior
  forks.  In batch mode, we always refuse to accept.  In interactive
  mode, we do yes/no/save prompting, waiting forever.  Saving the
  certificate will put it in ~/.emacs.d/certificates or something
  similar.

  The interactive behavior may have a connection time out while waiting,
  which will cause surprises.  We'll try to reopen the connection but
  the user may not enjoy the experience and it could get refused the
  second time and so on.

Ted