Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:28:25 +0200

Aidan Gauland <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Aidan,

>> This patch adds two new defcustoms `eshell-visual-subcommands' and
>> `eshell-visual-options' that lets you also specifiy commands with
>> certain subcommands and options that make them visual.
>>
>> Any objections to installing this patch?
>
> Sounds good.  I wouldn't use this myself, since I just set the PAGER
> environment variable to "cat", so the output is just dumped to the
> *eshell* buffer,

If the output is large as with "git/bzr log", you have wait until it's
all there before starting to, say, search.  And since the most recent
commits are on top of the output, I prefer starting there than below the
initial commit.

Well, but your approach has the benefit that you can use standard emacs
commands whereas I have to fiddle with what the pager provides.  Hm, is
there something that lets me do isearch in a term buffer and gives me a
point so that I can copy and yank?  Currently, I'm mousing my way
there...

> but I would use this if any programs go into an ncurses mode only for
> some subcommands.  I don't have anything against this being added,
> though, so go ahead! :) (And the patch looks sane enough.)

Great, thanks.  Installed as revno 112822.

Bye,
Tassilo