RE: SES local variables to define printers

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: SES local variables to define printers
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 06:38:44 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: SES local variables to define printers
> Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 21:35:49 -0400
> CC: address@hidden
>
> > That would not really make it safer because any hacker could find the
> > `somewhere in the file' and put some malicious definition there.
>
> You'd check the function's safety when reading the file, of course, as
> it is done currently for the `printer' arg of ses-cell.
>
> > My concern was more about getting the system stuck, but you still have
> > the C-g
>
> Exactly: it allows denial-of-service kinds of attacks, but you can
> probably already get similar problems some other way (e.g. provide
> a `printer' argument that's a circular structure, so that the safety
> checking doesn't terminate).
>

> Stefan

Just to recap your suggestion:

- the user would call some ses-define-local-printer interactive command,
  and would enter some symbol and body

- the symbol to function would be saved in some hashmap or alist, or
  somthing like that, and saved in some special slot in the sheet, like
  at the end of the sheet where you can column count and row count, or
  like in a file local variable (second is probably the simplest, let us
  not re-invent the wheel).

- each time the user wants to set a printer, he/she can set the printer
  function symbol to mean a sheet local printer

- when a sheet is loaded, the local printer alist is loaded --- like any
  file local variable if local variables is what is used to define file
  local printers.

BR,
   Vincent.