Re: windows build failure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows build failure
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 22:10:29 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:07:34 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Btw, I urge you to switch to the Posix build method, described in
> > nt/INSTALL.MSYS.
>
> Eli, do you have on mind to deprecate the Windows makefiles on a near
> future? (~1 year or so).

They are already deprecated, I announced that when I merged the Posix
build changes into the trunk, see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-05/msg00387.html

Perhaps you were asking whether makefile.w32-in files will be deleted.
I don't plan to do that, I think we better let them bitrot into
oblivion.  That would allow people to migrate in their own time.

> That would imply deprecating the support for MSVC as well, right?

Yes.  With at least 3 different distributions of GCC for Windows,
there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to keep the MSVC support
alive, especially since doing so requires non-trivial efforts with
every new MSVC release.

What I'd like to do next in this department is make sure Emacs can be
built as a 64-bit executable using MinGW64 and the new Posix build
procedure.  People who have MinGW64 installed are encouraged to try
that and report any problems they have.

Thanks.