Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 11:09:16 -0400

SM> Hmm... works for me (i.e. the arrow is displayed just fine in the
SM> terminal).  Please make it a bug report with the usual details to
SM> reproduce it.
>>> I bet the difference is the set of fonts each terminal is configured
>>> to use.
>> I don't think so: the terminals I know don't replace a char with
>> a question mark if the font has no glyph for it (they use some other
>> representation, like an empty box).  It sounds instead like your
>> terminal is using an encoding that does not include those chars we're
>> using, so Emacs replaces them with a question mark.
>> What is your terminal's encoding?  What about your locale?
> LANG is C
> XTERM_LOCALE is C

I guess we could try and only enable those compositions for locales that
rely on something like utf-8?

Another solution for affected users is to switch to a more modern
locale, like en_US.utf-8, or to customize perl-prettify-symbols.
Non-ASCII chars are handy at various places and are becoming more and
more frequent (in Emacs and elsewhere), so it's a good idea to "upgrade"
your locale.

        Stefan