On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: John Wiegley
Subject: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:38:26 +0000

Hello all,

We have often debated the merits of Git vs. Bazaar, and which one the GNU
project should use for Emacs development.  I think now is an appropriate time
to revisit this decision.

My main reason for bringing this up again is that Bazaar development has
effectively stalled.  There are major bugs which have been in their
bug-tracker for years now -- bugs affecting Emacs development, such as the
ELPA repository -- whach have been ignored all this time.  There are also
other factors, but this one alone is significant enough that I think it
justifies us switching over to Git all by itself.

So, to Richard as the undisputed Czar of all things Emacs: can we now, pretty
please, switch to Git? :)  I'm happy to coordinate whatever resources it takes
to make a full and faithful conversion from Bzr happen as soon as possible.

Yours,
  John Wiegley