Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:49:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> MinGW64 is a different project that MinGW32, developed by different
> people.  The header files and libraries they provide are indeed
> different from the ones provided by MinGW32.  If you really want to
> use this toolchain, you will have to find out what causes these
> problems, and suggest patches to avoid them (we will have to find a
> preprocessor symbols to distinguish between MinGW32 and MinGW64 for
> that to work).

Ok.

Indeed, the problem consists on differences in the header files. Seems
that MinGW64 is diverging from MinGW at a quick pace. Adapting Emacs to
those changes is a recipe for getting even more tangled preprocessor
code in Emacs. I'm not sure it is worth the trouble unless MinGW stalls.

> Btw, I assume that you use MinGW64 as a cross-compiler to produce a
> 32-bit executable, not a 64-bit executable.  The latter needs even
> more work to build and work.

The toolchain I'm using is composed of 32 bit executables that produces
32 bit executables, so no crosscompiling.

The `64' in MinGW64 is just an historical artifact, it doesn't mean that
the toolchain is restricted to 64 bit hosts.