Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112104: * progmodes/cfengine.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112104: * progmodes/cfengine.el (cfengine-common-syntax): Add "_" to word syntax.
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:38:18 -0400

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:14:48 -0600 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Ted> OK, but what's wrong with generally declaring the _ character a word
Ted> component?

Tom> If it has word syntax then M-f and friends skip over it.
Tom> Emacs modes generally don't work this way, and it is nicer for users if
Tom> there is uniformity here.

OK, but I can't think of any cases in CFEngine specifically where I
don't want to skip over _ with M-f.  It's always part of a word.  The
language itself is designed that way and has a pretty rigid syntax.  Are
you saying it's still not a good idea to add _ to the word syntax?  What
will it break?  Or are you saying users don't expect _ to be part of a
word and it's unconventional to make it so?

Ted> I think I'd rather make a base change to word syntax and use simple
Ted> word motion than change the word motion I use to symbol motion.

Tom> You can still do this yourself.

We're talking about a change I made to cfengine.el.  Obviously I can
make it for myself; the goal is to make the mode more usable.  I thought
by adding _ to the word syntax I was doing that, and don't know the
reasons why it's bad, except the word motion you mentioned above.

Ted