Re: list3i etc.

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: list3i etc.
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:11:54 +0800

On 03/07/2013 04:58 PM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
Can we have a more mnemonically significant names for these, please?
Like list_of_numbers2, list_of_numbers3, etc., for example?

Of course we can. But IMHO they're "mnemonically significant" already,
and the similar approach is widely used here and there. For example,
OpenGL API uses glFoo[sifd] to denote versions of glFoo with short/int/
float/double arguments.

In GNU Coding Standards (just for reference):

"The names of global variables and functions in a program serve as comments of a sort. So don’t choose terse names—instead, look for names that give useful information about the meaning of the variable or function."

"Try to limit your use of abbreviations in symbol names. It is ok to make a few abbreviations, explain what they mean, and then use them frequently, but don’t use lots of obscure abbreviations."

"Please use underscores to separate words in a name, so that the Emacs word commands can be useful within them."

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao