Re: emacs-24.x "make install" issues

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacs-24.x "make install" issues
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 16:16:28 -0800

On 03/02/2013 03:28 PM, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
>               test -f INSTALLED || hostname > INSTALLED
>               test "`cat INSTALLED`" = "`hostname`" || exit

This has races of its own, since creating INSTALLED is not
an atomic operation.

Could you instead invoke "make install" on just one host,
and "make install-arch-dep" on the remaining platforms?
That should install just one copy of the architecture-independent
files.  If this doesn't work now, perhaps we should make it work,
or add another makefile rule that would work.

> With today's disk sizes,
> that is a minor difference that I'd be happy to give up, saving time
> in the future for every emacs library loaded dynamically into an
> editor session.

It may make sense to have a build-time option to not compress,
bit I thought the point of compressing was to improve performance
more than to save disk space, since these days CPU cycles are
often cheap compared to I/O.  Have you measured the performance of
Emacs startup with and without compression, if the startup files are
cached and/or not cached?