Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 20:32:36 -0400

>> To the extent possible, Emacs could let the user specify the calendar
>> indirectly by instead specifying a "context" (a place, plus whatever
>> else is needed to resolve ambiguities), and then let Emacs figure out
>> which calendar was used at that time in that context.
> Yes, for example Emacs could examine (say) the TZ variable
> plus optional extra info.

No, I really mean that the *user* should provide the info, not some
circumstantial evidence.  And I said "could", not "should".  So it was
really meant "if someone really wants to provide some way to get the
date according to the traditions of a particular place, then it's OK,
but only if that's done by querying the user about which place to use
(or combination of place and whatever else is needed to disambiguate the
request)".
So for now, Emacs should use the same default calendar for Calc,
Calendar, and whatever else uses dates; and it should be the Gregorian
calendar regardless of the requested date.

        Stefan