Re: the amazing (and amazingly old) filladapt mode

From: Nix
Subject: Re: the amazing (and amazingly old) filladapt mode
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 15:28:17 +0100

On 2 Oct 2012, Adam Doppelt uttered the following:

> Does anyone else use filladapt mode for filling paragraphs? This thing
> is great. It modifies fill-paragraph to handle a wide variety of line
> prefixes.

I can confirm that it is excellent.

> I'm wondering if some kind soul would like to modernize it and add it
> to elpa, or possibly bring the equivalent functionality to
> adaptive-fill-mode. Unfortunately my elisp skills are quite weak,
> otherwise I'd attempt it myself. I think a lot of people would
> appreciate the effort.

What a coincidence. Doing just that is already at the top of my todo
list: I might get to it this weekend, since I have another
emacs-obsessed friend coming round and we need something to hack on. :)

It might be rather... interesting to make it advise functions rather
than overriding them -- its definitions of things like fill-region are
quite divergent from the core's, and take over the core's entire job.
But certainly filladapt's versions should be upgraded so that it can do
everything the core's versions have learned to do in the years since the
millennium (e.g. multiple forms of justification rather than just one).
That, at least, shouldn't be too hard.

--
NULL && (void)