Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:57:14 +0200

Vincent Belaïche writes:
> Please find attached the patch file cedet.diff to compile CEDET with make +
> MSYS --- this solves only the file path issue, but there is still some
> remaining problem.
>
> There is also one new file platform.mak to do some platform dependent
> settings.
> The whole trick which I propose is actually inside this  platform.mak  file.
>
> I have not yet written any Changelog entry, I will do that when I get feedback
> on whether this correction is acceptable.

Here's the thing: our Makefiles are generated by EDE (except the
top-level one). Hence it doesn't make sense to patch them. We only have
them under version control because generating them on the fly would be
slow and have very little benefit.

I could add your patch to EDE's Makefile generation itself, but frankly,
I do not see the point. As Eli says, these kinds of patches for bending
things to work with MSYS tend to be fragile. And as you've already
experienced, this is not the only issue; I actually tried using MSYS for
our Windows Buildbot slave about a year ago and just gave up after
hitting numerous problems.

As I've already written on semantic-devel, we have a way of building
CEDET without using Makefiles at all (using cedet-build.el); while it is
currently broken after all the changes we introduced lately, it should
be easy to fix. I probably have time for it this week.

And finally, there's always Cygwin. :-)

-David