Re: Git to Bzr - what works?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git to Bzr - what works?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:32:38 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:12:26 -0500

> > I think you will be much better off using Oscar's advice: using a non-bound
> > bzr branch where you can commit locally at will and push upstream only when
> > you decide to do so.  That should allow you a workflow that is largely
> > mechanic and does not require to rewire your brain for bzr.
>
> What commands should I run at terminal to create this probably unbound branch?

If you have a Savannah user name:

  bzr branch bzr+ssh://address@hidden/emacs/trunk/

If you don't:

  bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk

If you already have a bound branch, you can either create a local
branch from it:

  cd /path/to/emacs/trunk/..
  bzr branch emacs-local

(then do most of your work in emacs-local and push from there) or
simply unbind the bound branch:

  cd /path/to/emacs/trunk
  bzr unbind

The last two are much faster than the other two, because an initial
branch pulls the entire history of the development through the wire.

I think having a local branch in addition to the bound branch is
better, as you get to benefit from both of the worlds.  So the 3rd
command above is what I'd recommend.