Re: Make buffer- and frame-locals a misc object

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Make buffer- and frame-locals a misc object
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:33:23 +0400

On 08/15/2012 06:20 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

This patch converts Lisp_Buffer_Local_Value to misc object (for the
sake of GC-aware management) and provides simple inline access
functions (for the sake of further GC development).

No, that's going backward.
Please explain why you think you need that, so we can find alternatives.

This patch 1) converts Lisp_Buffer_Local_Value to misc object (for the
sake of GC-aware management) and 2) provides simple inline access
functions (for the sake of further GC development).

What's going backward - 1) or 2) or both?

For 1), my previous (and inglorious) attempt to hack around save-excursion
shows that mixing explicitly allocated/freed objects with GC-managed objects
is poor idea, so getting rid of xmalloc/xfree makes the things more predictable.

For 2), the usual purpose is to prepare the hooks for the write barrier.

Dmitry