Re: gdb-mi and debugging interactive programs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gdb-mi and debugging interactive programs
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:42:52 +0300

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:12:43 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> How is this supposed to work? how is gdb-mi supposed to distinguish
> between I/O with GDB and I/O with a program being debugged?  That is,
> if the user types some text into the gud buffer, how can gdb-mi know
> whether to send it to GDB or to the debuggee?  What am I missing here?

To answer my own question here, it looks like the answer is in the
"set inferior-tty" command that gdb-mi issues at the beginning of the
session.  Alas, that command and what gdb-mi does with it depend on
PTYs being used to communicate with subprocesses, so I think it cannot
work on MS-Windows (which uses pipes instead).