Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIEL

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIELD between buffers, keyboards and frames.
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:39:09 +0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> You can use coccinelle to automatically turn the x->y into an rvalue
> FVAR (x,y) while debugging.  And such a script should be kept around and
> run every once in a while to check that new code follows the
> SETFVAR convention.
>
> But I don't want the trunk's code obfuscated just for some temporary
> debugging needs.

Another problem, which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is that
when you see C code which does FVAR (x, y) the natural assumption is
that x and y are C variables.  So these macros hurt code readability.

The introduction of BVAR also violated this principle, and I'm not eager
to see the problem compounded.

I think FSET/WSET/PSET/PGET/etc should be removed from the trunk, at
least for now.  I recommend moving the generational GC work to a branch.