Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIEL

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIELD between buffers, keyboards and frames.
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 09:31:43 -0700

On 08/03/2012 03:52 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>   return frame_buffer_list (XFRAME (frame));
> And then we have to remember that it's a "trivial" function that
> can't GC?

I can see disliking "frame_buffer_list (FOO)" (as opposed
to "FOO->buffer_list") on length grounds, but I don't understand
disliking it on GC grounds.  The Emacs internals have
lots of functions that don't call the GC; having some
more shouldn't make that much difference one way or another.

If there's a need to more easily distinguish between functions
that call the GC, and functions that don't, there are good
ways to do that -- perhaps Emacs could be taught to highlight
one set of functions and not the other, or we could even institute
a naming convention.  But surely it goes too far to suppress
functional notation merely because some functions call the garbage
collector and others don't.